- ¼ cup dried shittake mushrooms
- 2½ cups water
- 5” piece dried kombu
- 1 Tablespoon butter or vegan equivalent, softened
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella or vegan equivalent
- 8 plain 2" mochi squares, store-bought or homemade
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- To prepare Vegetarian Dashi: Rehydrate mushrooms according to package directions. Coarsely chop mushrooms and combine with 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ½ cup water and kombu. Bring to a boil. Strain mixture into a large bowl to remove mushrooms and kombu. Reserve mushrooms to use in other dishes. Discard kombu.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare Mochi: Grease an 8” x 8” baking pan or a large gratin dish with butter. Sprinkle pan with half the mozzarella. Place mochi squares in the center, as they will spread when they bake. Cover mochi with remaining mozzarella. Bake in oven for 7-8 minutes or until mozzarella starts to bubble.
- Remove from oven. Pour half of Vegetarian Dashi and ½ Tablespoon soy sauce over mochi. Set oven to broil. Broil mochi for a few minutes, until golden brown.
- Pour remaining Vegetarian Dashi and soy sauce over mochi. Garnish with green onions. Serve immediately and enjoy!