- 1 yellow or sweet onion
- 2-3 Japanese cucumbers, unpeeled
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 Tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 Tablespoons white miso
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds or gomasio
- 1 nori sheet, cut into 2” long strips
- To make Salad: Cut onion in half width-wise. Thinly slice onions into ⅛” thick rounds. Place in a small container.
- Cut cumbers in half. Slice into ⅛” thick ribbons using a mandolin or a vegetable peeler. Place into a separate small container. Add a couple pinches of salt to both vegetables.
- To make Dressing: Whisk dressing ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Reserve ¼ cup in the refrigerator for later use.
- Divide remaining dressing between both dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Drain and save the liquid from both dishes. Squeeze out any excess liquid from vegetables. Use the leftover dressing for other dishes. This dressing can be kept in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
- Grind flax seeds using a coffee grinder or food processor.
- To serve, pile a tall mound of onions in the center of a serving dish. Place cucumbers around the outside of onions. Pour a little dressing over salad, drizzling a little on the plate, and garnish with seeds and nori strips. Serve immediately & enjoy!