- 1 package tempeh
- 1 pineapple
- 1-3 Tablespoons high-heat oil (avocado, grapeseed, safflower, etc.)
- 1 package bread
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon peanut or sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Juice of ½ lime
- Remove tempeh from package and place in a saucepan. Fill with enough water to just cover the tempeh. Bring to a boil for 12 minutes, then remove from heat and drain tempeh.
- For the marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, tamari, peanut oil, mirin, miso, hot sauce, and lime juice.
- Cut tempeh in half so you have 2 squares of tempeh. Slice each of the squares in half, so you have 4 thin squares. Then, cut each square into 4 pieces. You will have 16 tempeh patties.
- Place the 16 pieces of tempeh in a 13x9 pan. Pour the marinade over the tempeh. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Slice pineapple into fourths, removing the rind and skin. Then slice pineapple into 1-centimeter thick pieces.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large grill pan or a large skillet.
- Add tempeh pieces and cook until crispy on both sides. Pour reserve marinade over tempeh slices and cook until absorbed.
- Remove tempeh from heat and cook pineapple slices until browned on both sides.
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 pieces, until you have 16 pieces. Broil in the oven until toasted.
- Stack 8 bread slices with 1-2 pieces of tempeh and 2-3 pieces of pineapple. Top with extra hot sauce, if desired, and another slice of bread. Serve hot and enjoy!