- ¼ cup dried Shiitake mushrooms soaked in 1 cup of water for 1 hour up to overnight
- 2”-4” piece kombu, soaked in 1 cup of water for 1 hour up to overnight
- 1-2 teaspoons neutral high-heat oil like canola or safflower
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dried barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt + more if desired
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger2-3
- Tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- After letting the mushrooms and kombu soak for at least 1 hour, remove fromwater and set aside. Reserve soaking water for later. Pat dry mushrooms andkombu and then thinly slice both ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a stock pot over low heat. Stir in onion and cook for 1-2 minutes; stirin the sliced mushrooms and barley until thoroughly combined.
- Add in reserved soaking water, vegetable broth, sliced kombu, Italianseasoning, salt and ginger.
- Cover and increase heat; bring to a boil, then simmer until barley is tender,about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce. Taste stew and season with salt and pepper to taste.Pour stew into serving bowls and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!