Baked Vegetable Yakitori
Delicious roasted vegetables on skewers make a fun and tidy party dish! Allow wooden or bamboo skewers to soak for at least 20 minutes in warm water to prevent them from burning.
Updated: Mon, 04/02/2018 - 9:59pm
- ¼ pound Okinawan sweet potato
- 1 leek
- 1 shallot
- 5-6 button mushrooms
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 1½ cup mirin
- ¾ cup soy sauce, tamari or liquid aminos
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2-3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
Recommended Materials: 10-12 wooden, bamboo or metal skewers
- Chop Okinawan sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks and let sit in a bowl of water for 10 minutes to soften.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut remaining vegetables into small bite sized chunks.
- Combine mirin, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and lemon juice in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisking frequently, allow mixture to reduce to about ½ of original measurement - about 1½ cups. Set aside.
- While sauce is reducing, skewer vegetables in any desired order and place on baking sheet.
- Set oven to broil.
- Brush sauce over skewers. Broil vegetables for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn skewers carefully and brush with sauce. Return to oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve to your party guests immediately and enjoy!