Ful Muddamus (Fava Bean Soup)
Ful Muddamus is a simple bean soup that is usually eaten for breakfast in Egypt and other parts of Africa. It’s delicious solo or with rice or bread.
- 1 (15-ounce) can fava beans, rinsed, drained and peeled
- ½- ¾ cup water or vegetable broth
- 2-6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup minced flat-leaf parsley or dill
- 1 teaspoon each cumin, coriander and dill
- Add fava beans and garlic to a saucepan along with ½ cup water. Warm over medium heat for 15 minutes until garlic is slightly softened. Mash slightly using a potato masher or a fork; mixture should be slightly chunky. Add more water to thin the soup if desired.
- Stir in lemon juice, olive oil, herbs and spices. Let soup cook one minute more. Serve warm. Enjoy!