Hearty Vegan Chili
A very hearty “meaty” chili with wonderful flavor and texture.
- 1 cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein)
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3-4 carrots, finely diced
- 1-2 zucchini, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce or strained tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked wheat berries
- ½ cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ - 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- Add TVP to a mixing bowl and pour vegetable broth over. Set aside to hydrate for 5-10 minutes. Drain any excess moisture.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Sauté onions, bell pepper, carrots, zucchini for a few minutes or until onions are translucent. Add in garlic and sauté for a 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium – low. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, wheat berries, broth, TVP and seasonings. Stir everything together. You can cook 20-30 minutes on the stove top or you can combine sautéed vegetables, hydrated TVP and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro, and green onions. Serve on its own or with grains. Enjoy!