- 1 block of extra firm, Non GMO tofu, drained or pressed
- Nori sheets
- Optional: furikake or sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked and cooled rice of your choice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare the sushi rice by mixing the rice, rice vinegar and sea salt in a bowl. Press the sushi rice into a shallow baking pan and allow to set. Optional: add a layer of furikake over the top of the rice
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a container with a lid. Cut the tofu into rectangles, place them into the marinade and cover. Let them marinade for as long as possible, but at least an hour.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add a touch of oil to prevent sticking. Sautee the marinated tofu pieces until they are browned and cooked through. TIP: If you make this recipe with thinner strips of tofu, you will have vegan bacon!
- Place the sauteed tofu pieces onto the sushi rice, leaving about a finger's space between each piece.
- Using a spatula, carefully cut through the rice around each tofu piece. Keeping the tofu piece on top of the rice, gently lift and place onto a nori sheet. Wrap nori around the tofu and rice.
- Enjoy your musubis!